Measures 3 to 14
An episode in G major starts in measure 3:
- A series of descending seventh chords are suggested by measures 3 to 6 (stave 1).
- The bass can be simplified, as shown in stave 2.
- The passage is a variation of a cycle of fifths, as shown in stave 3.
- The soprano uses motive a.
- Motive b (in red), based on the subject, appears on the bass.
- Two additional motives (c and d) appear in these measures. Motive d is the inversion of motive c.
In the next image we show the harmonic transformation of the previous measures. The cycle of fifths (middle system), can be expanded (top system) or compressed (bottom system):
Measures 7 to 10 are harmonically similar, but we're now in D major. Note the use of motives c and d:
The D major key in measures 10 to 14 prepare the subject presentation:
© 2020 José Rodríguez Alvira. Published by teoria.com
• Search Write to us